Land Bank Will No Longer Oversee Beleaguered Detroit Demo Program
Land Bank Update
March 7, 2019
Source: Detroit Free Press
The Detroit Land Bank Authority will no longer oversee the city’s demolition program by the end of this year, Mayor Mike Duggan announced Thursday during his annual budget presentation, saying demos will transition to being fully administered by the city.
The move represents a major shift for the beleaguered program, which has faced intense scrutiny in recent years for its practices.
The program has been fueled by more than $250 million in Hardest Hit Fund dollars from the U.S. Department of Treasury and is currently jointly overseen by the Detroit Building Authority and Land Bank. So far, more than $176 million has actually been spent but Duggan said the remaining dollars will be disbursed by the end of the year.
A timeline of the transition period wasn’t immediately clear.
“The Land Bank will be out of the demolition business,” Duggan said, while addressing the City Council. “At this point … we’re done.”
For full article, please click the source link above.