FHFA: Foreclosure Prevention Report – January 2018
April 11, 2018
January 2018 Highlights
The Enterprises’ Foreclosure Prevention Actions:
- The Enterprises completed 23,949 foreclosure prevention actions in January, bringing the total to 4,064,207 since the start of the conservatorships in September 2008. Over half of these actions have been permanent loan modifications.
- There were 11,831 permanent loan modifications in January, bringing the total to 2,162,777 since the conservatorships began in September 2008.
- Forty-seven percent of modifications in January were modifications with principal forbearance. Modifications with extend-term only accounted for 40 percent of all loan modifications during the month.
- There were 1,026 short sales and deeds-in-lieu completed in January, down 2 percent compared with December.
The Enterprises’ Mortgage Performance:
- The serious delinquency rate decreased slightly from 1.18 percent at the end of December to 1.17 percent at the end of January.
The Enterprises’ Foreclosures:
- Third-party and foreclosure sales increased from 3,942 in December to 5,000 in January.
- Foreclosure starts increased from 12,997 in December to 16,003 in January.
Attachments: Foreclosure Prevention Report – January 2018