FHFA: Foreclosure Prevention Report – April 2021
July 13, 2021
April 2021 Highlights — Foreclosure Prevention
The Enterprises’ Foreclosure Prevention Actions:
• The Enterprises completed 87,205 foreclosure prevention actions in April, bringing the total to 5,900,104 since the start of the conservatorships in September 2008.
• Approximately 42 percent of these actions have been permanent loan modifications.
• There were 5,271 permanent loan modifications in April, bringing the total to 2,457,671 since the conservatorships began in September 2008.
• Fourteen percent of modifications in April were modifications with principal forbearance. Modifications with extend-term only accounted for 61 percent of all loan modifications during the month.
• The number of borrowers who received payment deferrals after completing a COVID-19 related forbearance plan increased slightly from 55,570 in March to 55,970 in April.
• Initiated forbearance plans decreased 15 percent from 33,525 in March to 28,623 in April. The total number of loans in forbearance plan also decreased from 660,039 at the end of March to 592,985 at the end of April, representing approximately 2.0% of the total loans serviced, and 64 percent of the total delinquent loans.
The Enterprises’ Mortgage Performance:
• The 30-59 days delinquency rate remained at 0.67 percent, while the serious delinquency rate decreased to 2.29 percent at the end of April.
The Enterprises’ Foreclosures:
• Third-party and foreclosure sales decreased 5 percent to 808 while foreclosure starts dropped 62 percent to 2,020 in April.
April 2021 Highlights — Refinance Activities
• Total refinance volume decreased in April, after mortgage rates rose to above 3 percent in March. Mortgage rates fell in April: the average interest rate on a 30-year fixed rate mortgage fell to 3.06 percent from 3.08 perent in March.