City of Houston Announces Demolition Initiative
April 19, 2023
A city of Houston initiative that aims to take down buildings deemed as presenting a danger to public safety kicked off last week.
On April 15, Mayor Sylvester Turner and other city officials kicked off the city’s 2023 demolition initiative, which the city said is aimed at removing 300 buildings citywide that the city’s department of inspections have deemed as dangerous by the end of the year.
“My top priority is to ensure that our neighborhoods are safe and livable,” Turner said in a news release. “This means tackling the problem of abandoned buildings that degrade our neighborhoods, harbor vagrancy and crime, and pose real safety concerns for residents.”
According to the city, nearly 130 “residential dangerous” structures have been demolished so far this year, with plans for more than 100 more by the end of the year. A number of such buildings reside in underserved neighborhoods including the city’s 10 Complete Communities, according to the city, among them Acres Homes and Near Northside.
For full report, please click the source link above.