Property Registration FAQs

Q: Does Safeguard handle the vacant property registration (VPR) process?

A: Yes. Safeguard has a process in place to handle the registration process on behalf of our clients. In general, we need a limited power of attorney to allow us to act on our clients’ behalf. We charge a fee for this service, in addition to any registration fees that are applicable.

Q: How does Safeguard know which areas require registration?

A: Safeguard maintains a matrix of cities, counties, and states that have enacted or proposed VPR ordinances. The entries are tracked regularly for changes in status and/or requirements. Information is gathered from Internet research, client updates, and direct communication with code enforcement officials. Copies of the actual ordinances and registration forms are available on the matrix.

Q: What happens when the properties are sold and then need to be de-registered?

A: Safeguard can de-register the properties when we are notified that they have sold or are otherwise no longer under the control of our clients.


Stay informed about the latest industry news and events with our All Client Alert email newsfeed.